As the temperature begins to soar in the city of Dubai, you know it is time to bring out the sunscreen lotion and stock up on the ice cubes. However, often we tend to neglect an organ that needs to be protected from the sun and requires just as much protection as our skin from ultraviolet radiation: the eyes.
The hot summer air is a perfect breeding ground for eye diseases like conjunctivitis, dry eyes and a host of other eye allergies. Our experts at Eye Consultants have come up with a few measures you can take to protect your eyes from the scorching heat of the Dubai summer:
1. Wear Quality Sunglasses: Sunglasses are no longer a fashion statement when It comes to protecting your eyes from a hot summer day. They are essential in protecting your eyes from harmful ultraviolet radiation emitted by the sun. Make sure that the sunglasses you choose are capable of completely blocking out UV rays. You can also have your sunglasses examined by your optician or eye doctor, to ensure maximum protection.
2. Wear goggles while swimming: We all know how tempting it is to take a plunge into a pool on a hot summer day. While we are completely game for it, chemicals like chlorine can irritate your eyes and cause eye dryness or itchiness. A simple precaution of wearing goggles while swimming can help you refresh yourself, without having to worry about eye irritation or eye infection.
3. Stay hydrated: With the AC running constantly in the summer months, it is quite common for people to forget to drink adequate water and stay hydrated. However, drinking enough water during the summer is crucial for your eye health as it helps your eyes remain moist and prevents eye irritation and dryness.
4. Avoid smoking: While this is not a tip that is relevant only to the summer months, avoiding the urge to smoke can work wonders for your eyesight. Studies clearly indicate that smoking affects eyesight and increases the risk of cataract and other eye diseases. Do yourself a favor and try to cut down on the smoking this summer. Your eyes (and your lungs) will thank you.
5. Wear a hat and use artificial eye drops: Sunglasses alone cannot offer you complete protection from UV rays as the sides are open and exposed. Wear a wide-brimmed hat to offer maximum protection from sunlight and UV radiation. For those of you who experience continued eye irritation despite taking precautionary measures, it is better to consult a qualified eye doctor who can prescribe artificial eye drops, to keep your eyes moist and lubricated.
6. Practice personal hygiene and do not rub your eyes: Wash your hands regularly with soap and water and maintain high standards of personal hygiene to avoid transmission of any eye disease. You may naturally be inclined to rub your eyes as dirt and dust coupled with the hot weather can aggravate itchiness and eye irritation. Avoid rubbing your eyes and do not share tissues or cosmetics with others.
7. Visit an eye doctor at the earliest signs of discomfort: While all of the above tips are good pointers to protect your eyes during the summer, there is no guarantee that following these tips will keep all eye disease at bay. If you are experiencing symptoms of dry eyes, itchiness or eye irritation, visit a qualifies eye doctor in dubai at the earliest. Early detection is key in the treatment and diagnosis of any form of eye discomfort.
Note: Children are more prone to UV radiation in comparison to adults. If you have/live with young children, make sure to take adequate measures to protect their eyes from exposure as well.
Following these few easy tips could help to protect your eyes from the harsh summer heat. However, if you experience constant symptoms of dry eyes, itchiness, blurred vision, constant headaches or eye irritation, we recommend that you visit a qualified eye care professional at the earliest.